.

8001

. .

THIS WEEK : Selma Montford: The hope that the £1bn schemes will all disappear


TALKBOARD : Step Back in Time – A History of the Argus


LATEST IN DIRECTORY : Preston and Patcham Society launches new web platform

.

Friends of Queen’s Park

MB__home


Parks : Friends of Queen’s Park


Friends of Queen’s Park

The Friends of Queen’s Park is a group of locally elected volunteers who aim to maintain and improve the facilities of our park by representing the interests of all who use it. We organise annual community events including Bark In The Park, Picnic In The Park & Shakespeare In The Park.

In 1825 Thomas Attree a property owner and developer in Brighton acquired land north of Eastern Road—already known as Brighton Park—to build a residential park surrounded by detached villas, inspired by Regent’s Park in London. He commissioned architect Charles Galloway to design it. Thomas renamed it after Queen Adelaide, consort of William IV. Queen Adelaide patronised the German Spa opened in 1825 by Dr F A A Struve of Dresden at the south end of the park, which remained in operation until 1886 when it continued as a mineral water plant until 1960. On the site now stands the Royal Spa Nursery school. Thomas’ plan never fully materialised and the surrounding housing is mostly late Victorian with some late 20th century infill and replacement.

At the north-west corner is Pennant Lodge, once the home of Charles Freshfield. Also to the north-west of the park itself, on Queen’s Park Road, stands the Pepper Pot (also called the “Pepper Box”). Probably originally built as a horizontal wind-powered water pump, and later used for the publishing of a local newspaper, it was later an artist’s studio and by the 1990s a public convenience. In the 21st century it has been sealed and unused. The park itself, without the houses but including the Spa and the Pepper pot, was bought by the Race Stand Trustees in 1890 for £13,500 and donated to the town.

Source; Wikipedia

6boxes

The Friends of Queen’s Park
locally elected volunteers
annual community events

browse website

In 1825 Thomas Attree a property owner and developer in Brighton acquired land north of Eastern Road—already known as Brighton Park—to build a residential park surrounded by detached villas, inspired by Regent’s Park in London. He commissioned architect Charles Galloway to design it. Thomas renamed it after Queen Adelaide, consort of William IV.

Across the city : Brighton Society : Regency Society


facebook