.

8001

. .

THIS WEEK : Selma Montford: The hope that the £1bn schemes will all disappear


TALKBOARD : Step Back in Time – A History of the Argus


LATEST IN DIRECTORY : Preston and Patcham Society launches new web platform

.

Round Hill Society

MB__homeDIRECTORY HOMEPAGE


Neighbourhoods : Round Hill Society


Providing news and information on the area as well as reflections on local life

In Victorian travelogues, a reference to Round Hill would include streets (north of The Level and Rose Hill) on both sides of Ditchling Road. Round Hill was the hill which could be seen across the valley when looking eastwards from Dyke Road. The Round Hill streets actually visible from Dyke Road are west of those which now fall within the boundaries of The Round Hill conservation area.

Today, a reference to Round Hill includes the Sylvan Hall streets, but normally indicates the streets bounded by Upper Lewes Road, part of Round Hill Crescent, D’Aubigny Road, part of Richmond Road, Mayo Road, Princes Road and part of Ditchling Road.

Historical Development of the Area:
Until the 1860s the Round Hill area was still farmland, owned by several landowners including Thomas Read Kemp and William Stanford whose family had bought their land as tenants from the Western family. They paid £17,600 for land in Preston and Hove in 1794 and continued farming until the coming of the railway connection to London in 1841 lead to increased demand for new housing. Unusually the Stanfords became developers themselves and in the early 1860s the development of the Round Hill area was begun, similar to others in Hanover Crescent and Powis Square.

We are a residents’ association involved in planning issues, fun events, local history and improvements to our conservation area

Definition of the Special Character
The Round Hill Conservation Area is largely in residential use, with many of the larger houses in Round Hill Crescent and Richmond Road converted into flats, and individual family houses in the smaller terraced houses in the other roads. There are two public houses; The New Vic, on the corner of Mayo Road and Richmond Road which is a neo-Tudor building of the 1920s and the Round Hill public house in Ditchling Road. Apart from this there are some commercial properties along the Ditchling Road including some small local shops.

Details of the Round Hill Area from the Urban Characterisation Study
A comprehensive study of the characteristics of Round Hill. The purpose of this document is to inform future planning policies, and assist with planning decision making. The above

Round Hill Conservation Area Map
This shows the conservation area and its boundaries

Round Hill Conservation Area Character Statement
This sets out clearly what is special about the conservation area
.
agm_cup

IMAGE CREDITS: ROUND HILL SOCIETY
Long public view of the Round Hill conservation area from Race Hill via Tenantry Down looking across Woodvale. Note how carefully the streetscapes were planned in arcs and segments with “green ribbons” between the terraces.

Round Hill Society, AGM Cup

ced7b96b07a1f8ac397861986bf83beb_400x400

The Round Hill Society
victorian travelogues
today
historical development of area
definition of special character

Until the 1860s the Round Hill area was still farmland, owned by several landowners including Thomas Read Kemp and William Stanford whose family had bought their land as tenants from the Western family


Screen-Shot-2016-02-18-at-19.34.41

facebook